Thursday, January 8, 2009

for the horse's mouth

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Dr. MLK Jr was pretty prophetic in a completely human way.

For those who are unaware, cowardice is not cool. It is not the new black, the hippest trend, or latest thing to do on the weekend. Definitely not cool for significant others and friends alike. I mean, you could totally expect that from someone you're casually dating, but friends who are supposed to be trustworthy and decent individuals? That's a no-no. 

Sometimes I wonder why I care so intensely about the people around me, and why I am frequently experiencing such bad behavior from those (not that I'm counting the whole lot, because there are plenty of incredible souls that have blessed me with their friendship... I'm talking about a select few stinkers) I should be able to rely on, to consult and in turn console me.  I asked my father this same question and aside from the most down-to-earth, honest-to-good advice that he consistently gives me, this answer has stayed with me: It's not that you care too much, it's that these people who you care for do not know how to care for you in return.

Thus, I am accepting friend applications. 

Just kidding, but it's a nice thought...


2 comments:

JCizzle said...

If you're up for it, we should get coffee sometime. E-mail me at drivinporchdrivin at gmail. I'm in Columbia, ya know.

Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping for some better friends coming your way. Thanks for adding our blog to your favorite reads section!